The formation of the St. Hubert Community began before it became a parish. A 1957 survey showed that of the 400 families living in Schaumburg Township, 365 families were Catholic. Early in 1958 Rev. Arthur O’Brien, pastor of St. Theresa Parish in Palatine assigned Rev. Raymond Sullivan to celebrate Sunday Mass in the dining hall of the Buggy Whip Tavern (now Easy Street Pub) on Roselle Road near Schaumburg Road. That was the beginning of “St. Buggy Whip” as it was affectionately called. A group of committed men would arrive at the Buggy Whip at 6:00 a.m. Sunday mornings to air out and sweep the hall, and to set up chairs, a portable altar, portable organ, etc. in preparation for three Masses. They took it all down by 12:30 PM when the Buggy Whip opened for business. The crowded hall overflowed into the bar room. An energetic fundraising pledge-drive facilitated the building of the St. Theresa Mission Church, completed in December 1959. Click here for more information on "St. Buggy Whip."
Rev. Leo Wincek was appointed pastor of St. Hubert Parish, Hoffman Estates, in June 1960. The boundaries of the parish covered 25 square miles. Religious education was a priority for Father Wincek.
In 1961 the school was built, and staffed by Felician Sisters. It opened with eleven classrooms and a chapel. CCD classes were conducted in private homes; 1200 children were taught by 120 women. As the parish continued to grow, an addition to the school was built in 1963. Organizations flourished. A Christian Family Movement group had formed. The Holy Name Society and its off-shoot, the Booster Club, were very busy. The women began the Council of Catholic Women which grew to over 400 members in 24 guilds. Scouting and a youth group were among many activities. In 1966, the parish was divided, with the southern half becoming St. Marcelline Parish. Ground was broken for the new church and the Sisters’ convent. In October 1967, St. Hubert Church was dedicated by John Cardinal Cody. In time a library was added to the school, and a later addition accommodated the junior high students.
By 1995 it was evident something had to done about the church. Much of the infrastructure was failing, and the roof continued to leak. As a result of many meetings, conferences, and surveys, it was decided to design a new campus that would connect all the buildings, including a new church. An Early Childhood Center was added to the school at the northwest end. A Parish Ministry Center was built, connecting to the south west side of the school. The Center includes a full size gym which we designate as a Multi-Purpose Room, as well as a Club Room, kitchen, offices and meeting rooms.
The journey of this renovation was a conversion, a faith walk without knowing how it would turn out. The process included consultation and listening to the voice of the parish. Emotions varied from great excitement and anticipation, to sadness and grief for the loss of the familiar and comfortable. Careful consideration was given to the voice of the community.
During the renovation there was a desire to savor the old and enhance the new. Elements that were important in the plans for a new church became the priority for the renovation. Every effort was made to save what we could from the church. The original altar, made of ‘Verde Issorio’ marble from Pietrosanto, Italy and weighing five tons, is still in place, enhanced with wood carvings on its added legs. Other marble pieces were retained, such as the altar of repose for the Blessed Sacrament which was moved to its new location. The pedestal that held the original baptismal font is in the Reconciliation Room as a stand for sacred scripture. Other pieces of the marble were converted to a top for the ambo, parts of the new baptismal font, and a pedestal for the Book of Prayer Intentions.
The crucifix that had hung on the wall behind the altar and is so dear to many parishioners, now hangs on the high wall in the narthex, visible from the nave through the glass wall separating the nave and the narthex. The rough-hewn Mankato stone wall behind the altar remains in place. The laminated Douglas fir beams and exposed wood deck of the ceiling were refurbished. The interior Norman textured-finish brick walls (which we could not afford in today’s dollars) have been enhanced with soft down lighting. The beams and ceiling are now bathed with up lighting.
The renovation has been a labor of love as we strived to create an environment that will enhance our prayer life, our attention and care for each other, and our mission to proclaim the Good News.